Michael Schwartz Library, RT-110D
2121 Euclid Ave. Cleveland, OH 44115
Master of Education in Adult Learning & Development
- Cleveland State University (2014-2018), in progress
- Thesis: Critical Thinking Teaching and Assessment in Information Literacy Online Learning Objects
Master of Science in Library Science
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (2011-2013)
- Certificate in Special Collections
Bachelor of Arts in Music and English
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (2007-2011), GPA: 3.98
- Thesis: “Austen’s Emma: United Individual Spirit and Societal Servitude”
- Full Senior Recital, March 2011
Cleveland State University
Performing Arts & Humanities Librarian – July 2014-present
- Act as a liaison to the music, dance, theatre, English, history, philosophy, and religious studies departments
- Maintain and develop collections in liaison areas
- Coordinate and facilitate in-person and online library instruction for classes in liaison areas and develop asynchronous online instruction tools such as library guides and tutorials
- Answer reference questions via email, phone, online chat, or reference desk interactions
- Perform outreach to liaison departments and provide opportunities for collaborations between the library and campus community
Georgia Southwestern State University
Reference Librarian/Assistant Professor/Government Documents Coordinator – August 2013-July 2014
- Developed and participated in an innovative instructional program including general orientation, for-credit, customized, and outreach courses
- Oversaw reference program; provided reference consultation services in person, via email, and over the phone; assessed reference program regularly
- Oversaw the government documents collection and services and maintain the standards required by GSW’s status as a partial Federal Depository Library
- Facilitated outreach efforts to Georgia Southwestern State University (GSW) campus and Americus community; collaborated with faculty and community members to provide events
- Met faculty tenure-track expectations for scholarship and service
Interlochen Center for the Arts
Music Library Reference Intern – June 2013-August 2013
- Oversaw circulation desk and answered reference questions
- Reclassified CD collection to ANSCR classification system for improved patron browsing
- Assisted music faculty and students by preparing scores, making copies, and retrieving scores and CDs
- Created and implemented library programs as method of outreach
Ensemble Librarian Intern – June 2012-August 2012
- Prepared, distributed, and supervised care of scores for three ensembles
- Supervised students grades 1-12
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Graduate Assistant, Sousa Archives and Center for American Music – August 2012-June 2013
- Processed material, primarily reel-to-reel tapes, scores, and faculty papers
- Created finding aids in Archon (archival management tool)
- Answered e-mail reference questions relating to history and music
- Led guided tours for community groups of 2-4 people
- Facilitated archives instruction session for music graduate students
Literature and Languages Library Practicum Student – January 2013-May 2013
- Assisted with collection maintenance by creating and implementing weeding criteria
- Assisted with liaison instructional sessions for rhetoric classes and created accompanying handouts
- Posted weekly blog entries on library events, English Department news, and current events in literature
- Chose topics for and created library exhibits
- Created instructional tutorial for MLA International Bibliography using screen-casting software Camtasia
Graduate Assistant, Music and Performing Arts Library – August 2011-May 2013
- Managed reference desk 6 hours per week and answer email, phone, and in-person reference questions
- Assisted supervisor with processing approval lists for duplications
- Created and maintained LibGuides for Krannert Center for the Performing Arts events
- Designed workshops for international students on general library use and for graduate students about citation; created learning outcomes, handouts, LibGuides, and assessment tools
Graduate Student Employee, Content Access Management – February 2012-May 2012
- Created original and copy-cataloging records for music scores, recordings, and monographs
Champaign Public Library
Office Volunteer at the Champaign Public Library – July 2011-May 2012
- Aided with collection development by recommending books for weeding
- Created training video for library volunteers using Camtasia and Windows Movie Maker
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
Library Assistant for the UW-Stevens Point Library – May 2011-July 2011
- Observed reference interviews between Head Reference Librarian and undergraduate students
- Created and revised LibGuides for basic library functions
- Assisted with copy-cataloging and collection development for music score collection
- Scanned and retrieved Interlibrary Loan requests
Writing Assistant, Tutoring Learning Center – February 2008-May 2011
- Instructed students in walk-in and regularly scheduled reading and writing tutoring sessions of various disciplines; often met with ESL students
- Served as assistant instructor for Independent Writing courses by meeting with students weekly, evaluating their work, keeping a detailed log, and recommending a grade
Academic Resource Coordinator – Aug 2009-May 2010
- Provided walk-in academic and college transition help to freshmen students in assigned residential hall
- Met one-on-one with freshmen students biweekly to provide an introduction to college-level academics and helpful resources
- Prepared monthly hall programs for undergraduates and maintained bulletin board with academic themes
- Served on staff committees and attended weekly ARC and staff meetings
- “Exploring Culminating Experiences: Bridging the Gap between Theory and Practice in LIS Education” (book chapter). Re-Envisioning the MLS: Perspectives on the Future of Library and Information Science Education. Emerald Insight. Expected publication date: 2018.
- “The Mozart Effect: Teaching Source Evaluation” (book chapter). Information Literacy in Music: An Instructor’s Companion. A-R Editions. Expected publication date: Fall 2017.
- A Follow-Up: Teaching Creatively. (blog post) ALAO Instruction Interest Group Blog. (2016). https://alaoinstructionig.wordpress.com/2016/12/08/a-follow-up-teaching-creatively-by-mandi-goodsett/
- Goodsett, M., Loomis, B., & Miles, M. “The More We Work Together: Leading Campus OER Initiatives through Library-Faculty Collaboration” (invited article). College & Undergraduate Libraries. 23:3 (2016).
- Goodsett, M. and Koziura, A. “Are Library Science Programs Preparing New Librarians? Creating a Sustainable & Vibrant Librarian Community.” Journal of Library Administration. 56:6 (2016). Peer-reviewed.
- Recipes for Success: Comparing ALA-Accredited MLIS Programs. (dataset) EngagedScholarship (institutional repository). 2015. https://works.bepress.com/mandi_goodsett/10/
- “The Middle Way: ACRL’s Framework.” Library Instruction Roundtable Newsletter. 38:2 (2015).
- Goodsett, M. and Walsh, A. “Building a Strong Foundation: Mentoring Programs for Novice Tenure Track Librarians in Academic Libraries.” College & Research Libraries. 76:6 (2015). Peer-reviewed.
- Goodsett, M. and Dougan, K. “A Win-Win Situation: Community Outreach through LibGuides.” (book chapter). Reimagining Reference in the 21st Century. NJ: Purdue University Press. 2014. Peer-reviewed.
- Reflective Teaching: Improving Library Instruction through Self-Reflection. The Southeastern Librarian. 62:4 (2014). Peer-reviewed.
- Discovery Search Tools: A Comparative Study. Reference Reviews. 28:6 (2014).
- “Beats” (review). Music Reference Services Quarterly. 17:3 (2014).
- “Choral Public Domain Library” (review). Reference Reviews. 28:6 (2014).
- Tips for Learning on the Job. (2014). Non peer-reviewed article.
- Using LinkedIn to Jumpstart Your Job Search. (2014). Non peer-reviewed article.
- “ScorSer” (review). Reference Reviews. 28:3 (2014): 46 – 47.
- The Silver Lining: Finding the Value in a Library Science Degree. Footnotes. 43.2 (2013).
- “Discovery Layers and Music” (review). MLA Midwest Notebook. 20.3 (2012): 7.
- Critical Thinking and the ACRL Framework: Combating Fake News and Fallacies. Academic Library Association of Ohio Conference. Columbus, OH. 2017. Presentation.
- Goodsett, Mandi & Adrienne Gosselin. Increasing Faculty Collaboration and Community Engagement through Critical Librarianship and Public Sphere Pedagogy. Columbus, OH. 2017. Poster.
- An eLearning Partnership: Applying the Quality Matters Rubric to Online Library Instructional Materials. Academic Library Association of Ohio Conference. Columbus, OH. 2017. Poster.
- A Qualitative Study: Serving the Needs of International Music Students. Midwest Music Library Association Conference. Iowa City, IA. 2017. Presentation.
- Goodsett, Mandi & Evan Meszaros. Evaluating Information: Where Do Librarians and Skeptics Align? American Library Association Conference. Chicago, IL. 2017. Conference Poster.
- Improving Learner Experience through Creative Library Instructional Design. Academic Library Association of Ohio Conference. Wilmington, OH. 2016. Presentation.
- Goodsett, Mandi, Charissa Powel, Jason Broughton, Sean Buckner, and Myriam Martinez. IRRT Library Links: Facing Disasters as a Global Community. American Library Association Conference. Orlando, FA. 2016. Conference Poster.
- Reinvigorating a Library Workshop Series: Moving Workshops into the Online Environment. LOEX Encore series. 2016. Webinar Presentation.
- Reinvigorating a Library Workshop Series: Moving Workshops into the Online Environment. LOEX Conference. Pittsburgh, PA. 2016. Workshop.
- NMRT Membership, Networking, and Committee Interest Meeting Panelist. American Library Association Midwinter Meeting. Boston, MA. 2016.
- Developing an Open Educational Resource: Leading Campus OER Initiatives through Library-Faculty Collaboration. Academic Library Association of Ohio Conference. Lewis Center, OH. 2015. Presentation.
- Leading the Way: Using the Information Literacy Framework to Build Institution- and Discipline-Specific Learning Outcomes. Academic Library Association of Ohio Conference. Lewis Center, OH. 2015. Conference Poster.
- Recipes for Success: Comparing MLIS Programs in the United States. American Library Association Annual Conference. San Francisco, CA. 2015. Conference poster.
- No Software? No Problem. Creating Interactive Lessons Using Open-Access Free Resources. Academic Library Association of Ohio Distance Learning Interest Group Workshop. West Chester, OH. 2015. Workshop presentation.
- Are Library Science Programs Preparing New Librarians? Creating a Sustainable & Vibrant Librarian Community. Academic and Research Libraries Association Conference. Portland, OR. 2015. Conference poster.
- Mentoring, Publishing, and Professional Development: Navigating Early Career Librarianship. Academic and Research Libraries Association Conference. Portland, OR. 2015. Roundtable.
- Speak My Language: Teaching Information Literacy to Millennials. American Library Association Midwinter Meeting. Chicago, IL. 2015. Ignite Session.
- Empowering Student Learning: What We Can Learn from Game Makers in Creating Information Literacy Tutorials. Academic Library Association of Ohio. Sandusky, OH. 2014. Conference poster.
- Busting 5 Myths about Mentoring in Academic Libraries. Southeastern Library Association Conference. Augusta, GA. 2014. Conference poster.
- Reflective Teaching: Improving Library Instruction through Self-Reflection. Southeastern Library Association Conference. Augusta, GA. 2014. Conference presentation.
- Creating Engaging Information Literacy Tutorials, Atlanta Area Bibliographic Instruction Group. Atlanta, 2014. Conference presentation.
- Active Learning in the Classroom: Sharing Strategies That Work, Georgia Southwestern State University. Americus, 2013. Co-presented workshop for faculty on using active learning in the classroom.
- No More Tallies: Comparing Web-Based Reference Statistics Tools, Library 2.013 Conference. Virtual, 2013. Conference presentation.
- No More Tallies: Comparing Web-Based Reference Statistics Tools, Southeastern Library Association Conference. Greenville, SC, 2013. Poster.
- GSLIS New Professionals Panel, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2013. Virtual panel for LIS graduate students.
- Using LinkedIn to Jumpstart Your Job Search, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Champaign, 2013. Workshop using instructional design techniques and assessment.
- The Use of Archival Intelligence in Teaching with Primary Sources, Midwest Archives Conference. Indianapolis, 2013. Poster.
- Uncover and Discover at the Music and Performing Arts Library, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Public Engagement Symposium. Champaign, 2013. Poster.
Accomplishments and Awards
- Selected as a March 2017 Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) Member of the Week
- ACRL Early Career Librarian Conference Scholarship Recipient, March 2017
- EBSCO Conference Sponsorship Award Recipient, January 2017
- Selected as the 2015-2016 New Members Roundtable (NMRT) Emerging Leader, November 2015
- Southeastern Library Association New Voices Contest Winner, Reflective Teaching: Improving Library Instruction through Self-Reflection, October 2014
- Graduate Student Employee Exhibit Contest Winner, In Dear Old Illinois: Celebrating Illinois with Scores from MPAL’s Historic Sheet Music Collection, March 2013
- Music Library Association Midwest Chapter Retirees Scholarship Recipient, October 2011
- Albertson Award Medallion Recipient, May 2011
- Chancellor’s Leadership Award Recipient, May 2011
- Edmund Bukholt String Scholarship for Music Recipient, 2008-2011
- Mary K. Croft Scholarship Recipient for accomplishments in the Tutoring Learning Center, 2009, 2010, 2011
- English Department Liberal Studies Award Recipient, May 2009
- Dean’s Distinguished Achievement Award, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Professional Associations and Academic Offices
- American Library Association, 2011-present
- New Members Roundtable, 2011-present
- NMRT Executive Board Member (President), 2017-2018
- NMRT Executive Board Member (Vice-President/President-Elect), 2016-2017
- NMRT Endnotes Committee Member, 2015-2016
- NMRT Executive Board Member (Secretary), 2014-2015
- NMRT ALA Student Reception Committee Member, 2013-2014
- NMRT Footnotes Committee Member, 2013-2014
- Library Instruction Round Table, 2014-present
- Library Instruction Round Table Teaching, Learning, and Technology Committee member, 2014-2017; Co-Chair 2015-2016
- OhioLINK Affordable Learning Ambassador, 2017-present
- Academic and Research Libraries Association, 2012-present
- ACRL Conference Local Arrangements Committee Member, 2017-2019
- ACRL Conference Poster Committee Member, 2015-2017
- Instruction Section Awards Committee Secretary, 2014-2015; Member 2015-2016
- University Libraries Section Member, 2013-present
- Reference and User Services Association Member, 2013-2015
- Music Library Association, 2011-present
- Instruction Subcommittee Member, 2015-present
- Academic Libraries Association of Ohio, 2014-present
- Nominating Committee, 2016-2017
- Instruction Interest Group
- Interest Group Co-Chair, 2017-2019
- Workshop Planning Committee Member, 2016-present
- Research and Publication Committee, 2015-2017
- Northeast Ohio New-to-Libraries Network, 2015-present
- President, 2015-present
- Southeast Music Library Association, 2013-2014
- Georgia Library Association, 2013-2014
- Atlanta Emerging Librarians Officer, 2013-2014
- Special Libraries Association, 2011-2013
- UIUC GSLIS Student Chapter Secretary 2011-2012
- UIUC GSLIS Student Chapter Vice President 2012-2013
- Society of American Archivists Student Chapter, 2012-2013