Michael Schwartz Library, RT-110D
2121 Euclid Ave. Cleveland, OH 44115
Master of Education in Adult Learning & Development
- Cleveland State University (2014-2018)
- Thesis: Critical Thinking Teaching and Assessment in Information Literacy Online Learning Objects
Master of Science in Library Science
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (2011-2013)
- Certificate in Special Collections
Bachelor of Arts in Music and English
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (2007-2011)
Cleveland State University
Performing Arts & Humanities Librarian, OER & Copyright Advisor – July 2014-present
- Act as a liaison to the music, dance, theatre, English, history, philosophy, and religious studies departments
- Maintain and develop collections in liaison areas
- Coordinate and facilitate in-person and online library instruction for classes in liaison areas and develop asynchronous online instruction tools such as library guides and tutorials
- Answer reference questions via email, phone, online chat, or reference desk interactions
- Perform outreach to liaison departments and provide opportunities for collaborations between the library and campus community, especially regarding open education and copyright
Georgia Southwestern State University
Reference Librarian/Assistant Professor/Government Documents Coordinator – August 2013-July 2014
- Developed and participated in an innovative instructional program including general orientation, for-credit, customized, and outreach courses
- Oversaw reference program; provided reference consultation services in person, via email, and over the phone; assessed reference program regularly
- Oversaw the government documents collection and services and maintain the standards required by GSW’s status as a partial Federal Depository Library
- Facilitated outreach efforts to Georgia Southwestern State University (GSW) campus and Americus community; collaborated with faculty and community members to provide events
- Met faculty tenure-track expectations for scholarship and service
Interlochen Center for the Arts
Music Library Reference Intern – June 2013-August 2013
- Oversaw circulation desk and answered reference questions
- Reclassified CD collection to ANSCR classification system for improved patron browsing
- Assisted music faculty and students by preparing scores, making copies, and retrieving scores and CDs
- Created and implemented library programs as method of outreach
Ensemble Librarian Intern – June 2012-August 2012
- Prepared, distributed, and supervised care of scores for three ensembles
- Supervised students grades 1-12
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Graduate Assistant, Sousa Archives and Center for American Music – August 2012-June 2013
- Processed material, primarily reel-to-reel tapes, scores, and faculty papers
- Created finding aids in Archon (archival management tool)
- Answered e-mail reference questions relating to history and music
- Led guided tours for community groups of 2-4 people
- Facilitated archives instruction session for music graduate students
Literature and Languages Library Practicum Student – January 2013-May 2013
- Assisted with collection maintenance by creating and implementing weeding criteria
- Assisted with liaison instructional sessions for rhetoric classes and created accompanying handouts
- Posted weekly blog entries on library events, English Department news, and current events in literature
- Chose topics for and created library exhibits
- Created instructional tutorial for MLA International Bibliography using screen-casting software Camtasia
Graduate Assistant, Music and Performing Arts Library – August 2011-May 2013
- Managed reference desk 6 hours per week and answer email, phone, and in-person reference questions
- Assisted supervisor with processing approval lists for duplications
- Created and maintained LibGuides for Krannert Center for the Performing Arts events
- Designed workshops for international students on general library use and for graduate students about citation; created learning outcomes, handouts, LibGuides, and assessment tools
Graduate Student Employee, Content Access Management – February 2012-May 2012
- Created original and copy-cataloging records for music scores, recordings, and monographs
Professional Development by Subject Area
Information Literacy Instruction
- Goodsett, M. (2021). Going the Distance for International Students: Academic Integrity Support Online. Journal of Library & Information Services in Distance Learning, 14(4). https://doi.org/10.1080/1533290X.2021.1896624.
- Engaging First Year Students with a Digital Escape Room. Association of College & Research Libraries Conference. 2021. TechConnect Presentation.
- Goodsett, M. (2020). Inviting Students into the Kitchen: Inquiry-Based Learning as a Critical Thinking Instructional Strategy. The Critical Thinking about Sources Cookbook. ACRL Editions.
- Goodsett, M. & Schmillen, H. Academic Librarians Teaching Critical Thinking to First Year Students: Attitudes, Understanding, and Methods. Annual American Libraries Association Conference. Washington D.C. 2019. Poster.
- Gosselin, A. & Goodsett, M. (2019). Increasing Faculty-Librarian Collaboration through Critical Librarianship and Public Sphere Pedagogy. Collaborative Librarianship 11(2). https://digitalcommons.du.edu/collaborativelibrarianship/vol11/iss2/5/#
- Creating Online Information Literacy Learning Objects Certificate recipient, Minnesota Library Association, Instruction Roundtable, 2018.
- An eLearning Partnership: Applying the Quality Matters Rubric to Online Library Instructional Materials. Academic Library Association of Ohio Conference. Columbus, OH. 2017. Poster.
- Improving Learner Experience through Creative Library Instructional Design. Academic Library Association of Ohio Conference. Wilmington, OH. 2016. Presentation.
- Reinvigorating a Library Workshop Series: Moving Workshops into the Online Environment. LOEX Conference & LOEX Encore series. Pittsburgh, PA, 2016. Workshop and webinar presentation.
- Leading the Way: Using the Information Literacy Framework to Build Institution- and Discipline-Specific Learning Outcomes. Academic Library Association of Ohio Conference. Lewis Center, OH. 2015. Conference Poster.
- Speak My Language: Teaching Information Literacy to Millennials. American Library Association Midwinter Meeting. Chicago, IL. 2015. Ignite Session.
- Reflective Teaching: Improving Library Instruction through Self-Reflection. The Southeastern Librarian. 62:4 (2014). Peer-reviewed.
- Empowering Student Learning: What We Can Learn from Game Makers in Creating Information Literacy Tutorials. Academic Library Association of Ohio. Sandusky, OH. 2014. Conference poster.
- Reflective Teaching: Improving Library Instruction through Self-Reflection. Southeastern Library Association Conference. Augusta, GA. 2014. Conference presentation.
Open Education & Copyright
- Cuillier et al. Professional Development for Open Education Leaders: A Community Dialogue on Needs and Fostering Collaboration. Open Education Conference. 2021. Panel presentation.
- Walz et al. Collaborative Test Bank Development: Multi-Institutional and Pandemic-Style. Open Education Conference. 2021. Presentation.
- Bendo, A., Goodsett, M., Hricko, M., & Nowakowski, J. (2021). Whip Up a Statewide Team of Affordable Learning Ambassadors. In Bongiovanni, E. & Buljung, B. (Eds.), The ACRL Scholarly Communications Cookbook. ACRL Editions.
- Goodsett, M., Morrison, V., Pearson, H., Richards, B., & Shen, Y. Library Licensed Textbooks: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. MI OER Summit. 2021. Presentation.
- Laying the Groundwork for Answering Common Copyright Questions Related to Cultural Heritage Materials. Cleveland Memory Project Partners Meeting. 2021. Invited speaker.
- Caprette, H., Goodsett, M., Morrison, A., & Zickel, E. A Community Approach to Departmental Collaboration: Engaging Faculty & Campus Partners. Open Education Network Summit. 2021. Presentation.
- Bendo, A., Davis, A., Goodsett, M., Mason, L, & Myers, C. The Pandemic Pivot: What COVID-19 Taught Us About Affordable Course Materials. OhioLINK Summit. 2021. Invited Panelist.
- Goodsett, M. (2020). Supporting Faculty Through an Open Education & Affordability Gratitude Campaign. Reference Services Review, 48(3), 353-371. https://doi.org/10.1108/RSR-03-2020-0008
- Gagich, M., Goodsett, M., Rickel, R., & Zickel, E. Open Access at Work from Home: How One FYW Program’s Open Access Textbook Supported Instructors during the Spring 2020 Online Transition. CCCC. 2021. Panel Presentation.
- Faculty Attitudes and Use of Streaming Video in Educational Settings. Miami Copyright Conference. 2020. Lightning Talk. https://csuohio-my.sharepoint.com/:p:/g/personal/6000463_csuohio_edu/EQaYKSR-C6NAvEndGt0pabABK-73acyZKjx5lYH3G9YVPg?e=sIaII6
- Developing Faculty Advocates through a Textbook Affordability Summer Symposium. Open Education Conference. 2020. Lightning Talk. https://openeducationconference.org/2020/lightning-talks/developing-faculty-advocates-through-a-textbook-affordability-summer-symposium
- Growing Your Open Education and Affordability Initiative through a Gratitude Campaign. MiALA Conference. 2020. Webinar. http://tiny.cc/kn8erz.
- What do OER Librarians Need to Know? Lessons Learned from the Certificate in OER Librarianship. OhioLINK Affordable Learning Summit. Columbus, OH. 2019. Presentation.
- Goodsett, M. & Halloway, J. OCLC -Maximizing the Impact of Open Content. Annual American Libraries Association Conference. Washington D.C. 2019. Presentation
- Harvard Law School CopyrightX Course Certification completed, Spring 2019
- Ohio Open Ed Collaborative Grant recipient, “Introduction to Ethics,” librarian consultant, 2019.
- OER Librarian Certification Program Instructor. Open Textbook Network. Cleveland, OH; Minneapolis, MN. 2018-2020.
- Creative Commons Certificate recipient, Creative Commons, 2018
- OhioLINK Affordable Learning Ambassador, 2017-2019.
- Gagich, M., Goodsett, M., & Zickel, E. Interdisciplinary Collaboration and the Development and Integration of a First-Year Writing Open Access Textbook. CCCC. Pittsburgh, PA. 2019. Presentation.
- Goodsett, M., Hricko, M., Kaufman, S., & Nowakowski, J. OhioLINK Open Textbook Network Workshops. Tri-C Westshore. Westlake, OH; Pepper Pike, OH; Ohio Affordable Learning Summit. Akron, OH; & New Explorations in Teaching (NEXT) Conference. Akron, OH: 2018.
- Five Ways to Cultivate Open Education on Your Campus. Academic Library Association of Ohio Conference. Columbus, OH. 2018. Poster.
- Dziabiak, M., Goodsett, M., & Reichert, A. Toll Free: The Library as Driver of Open Access Resources. Ohio Private Academic Libraries Conference. Westerville, OH. 2018. Panel.
- Helping Faculty Find, Use, and Modify Open Educational Resources. ACRL eLearning Webcast. 2018. Webinar.
- Goodsett, M. & Myers, C. Open Educational Resources 101. Northeast Ohio Regional Library System. Shaker Heights, OH. 2018. Day-long workshop.
- Copyright for Educators & Librarians Certificate recipient, Coursera MOOC, 2018
- Goodsett, M., Loomis, B., & Miles, M. “The More We Work Together: Leading Campus OER Initiatives through Library-Faculty Collaboration” (invited article). College & Undergraduate Libraries. 23:3 (2016).
- Goodsett, M., Loomis, B., & Miles, M. Developing an Open Educational Resource: Leading Campus OER Initiatives through Library-Faculty Collaboration. Academic Library Association of Ohio Conference. Lewis Center, OH. 2015. Presentation.
- Creating Engaging Information Literacy Tutorials, Atlanta Area Bibliographic Instruction Group. Atlanta, 2014. Conference presentation.
Misinformation, Source Evaluation, & Critical Thinking
- Goodsett, M. (2020). Assessing the Potential for Critical Thinking Instruction in Information Literacy Online Learning Objects Using Best Practices. Communications in Information Literacy, 14(2), pp. https://doi:10.15760/comminfolit.2020.14.2.4.
- Goodsett, M. (2020). Best Practices for Teaching and Assessing Critical Thinking in Information Literacy Online Learning Objects. Journal of Academic Librarianship, 46(5). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acalib.2020.102163
- Creating Information Literacy Tutorials that Encourage Critical Thinking. ACRL Distance Learning Section Virtual Poster Session. 2020. Poster. https://acrl.ala.org/DLS/2020-virtual-poster-session/creating-information-literacy-tutorials/
- Goodsett, M. (2019). Inviting Students into the Kitchen: Inquiry-Based Learning as a Critical Thinking Instructional Strategy. The Critical Thinking about Sources Cookbook. ACRL Editions.
- “The Mozart Effect: Teaching Source Evaluation” (book chapter). Information Literacy in Music: An Instructor’s Companion. A-R Editions. 2018.
- Critical Thinking and the ACRL Framework: Combating Fake News and Fallacies. Academic Library Association of Ohio Conference. Columbus, OH. 2017. Presentation.
- Goodsett, Mandi & Evan Meszaros. Evaluating Information: Where Do Librarians and Skeptics Align? American Library Association Conference. Chicago, IL. 2017. Conference Poster.
Mentoring / Experiences of New Professionals
- Goodsett, M. (2021). Commitment, Respect, & Trust: The Building Blocks of a Strong Mentoring Relationship. In Rod-Welch, L., Academic Library Mentoring: Fostering Growth and Renewal. ACRL Editions.
- A Short Guide to Being Mentored: Tips for Strong Relationships. C&RL News 80(11). (2019).
- Starting a Meaningful & Productive Library Mentoring Program. Rhode Island Library Association Conference. Smithfield, RI. 2019. Invited presentation and consultation.
- How to Establish a Meaningful, Productive Mentoring Relationship. LLAMA Webinar. 2019. Presentation.
- Goodsett, M., Milliner, V., & Rodriques, C. Professional Development 101: Get Involved, Get Ahead, and Make a Difference. American Library Association. New Orleans, LA. 2018. Presentation.
- Backius, D., Goodsett, M., Kociubuk, J., & Rodriques, C. Stronger Together: Support, Leadership, and Alternative Pathways for New Information Professionals. Ohio Private Academic Libraries Conference. Westerville, OH. 2018. Presentation.
- “Exploring Culminating Experiences: Bridging the Gap between Theory and Practice in LIS Education” (book chapter). Re-Envisioning the MLS: Perspectives on the Future of Library and Information Science Education. Emerald Insight. (2018).
- Goodsett, M. and Koziura, A. “Are Library Science Programs Preparing New Librarians? Creating a Sustainable & Vibrant Librarian Community.” Journal of Library Administration. 56:6 (2016).
- Recipes for Success: Comparing ALA-Accredited MLIS Programs. (dataset) EngagedScholarship (institutional repository). 2015. https://works.bepress.com/mandi_goodsett/10/
- NMRT Membership, Networking, and Committee Interest Meeting Panelist. American Library Association Midwinter Meeting. Boston, MA. 2016.
- Recipes for Success: Comparing MLIS Programs in the United States. American Library Association Annual Conference. San Francisco, CA. 2015. Conference poster.
- No Software? No Problem. Creating Interactive Lessons Using Open-Access Free Resources. Academic Library Association of Ohio Distance Learning Interest Group Workshop. West Chester, OH. 2015. Workshop presentation.
- Are Library Science Programs Preparing New Librarians? Creating a Sustainable & Vibrant Librarian Community. Academic and Research Libraries Association Conference. Portland, OR. 2015. Conference poster.
- Mentoring, Publishing, and Professional Development: Navigating Early Career Librarianship. Academic and Research Libraries Association Conference. Portland, OR. 2015. Roundtable.
- Goodsett, M. and Walsh, A. Building a Strong Foundation: Mentoring Programs for Novice Tenure Track Librarians in Academic Libraries. College & Research Libraries. 76:6 (2015).
- Busting 5 Myths about Mentoring in Academic Libraries. Southeastern Library Association Conference. Augusta, GA. 2014. Conference poster.
Sustainability in Libraries
- Meszaros, E. & Goodsett, M. (2021). Sustainability in Libraries through Event Planning. In Aldrich, R.S. et al, Sustainability in Libraries. ALA Editions.
- Thinking Sustainably about Library Conferences. Library 2.0 Conference: Sustainability in Libraries. 2020. Presentation.
- Goodsett, M. (2020). Mixing It Up: Collaborating with Campus Students and Staff to Promote Sustainability via a Large Library Display. ACRL eLearning Webcast.
- Goodsett, M. (2019). Mixing It Up: Collaborating with Campus Students and Staff to Promote Sustainability via a Large Library Display. The Sustainable Library’s Cookbook. ACRL Editions. (2019).
- The Library as Campus Sustainability Champion. Academic Library Association of Ohio Conference. Columbus, OH. 2018. Poster.
- Goodsett, M. & Baumgartner, M. (2019). Serving the Needs of International Students: A Qualitative Study. Journal of Music History Pedagogy, 9:1, pp. 44–66.
- A Qualitative Study: Serving the Needs of International Music Graduate Students. American Library Association Midwinter Conference, Graduate Student Interest Group. Denver, CO. 2018. Presentation.
- A Qualitative Study: Serving the Needs of International Music Students. Midwest Music Library Association Conference. Iowa City, IA. 2017. Presentation.
- Goodsett, M. and Dougan, K. A Win-Win Situation: Community Outreach through LibGuides. (book chapter). Reimagining Reference in the 21st Century. NJ: Purdue University Press. 2014.
- Beats (review). Music Reference Services Quarterly. 17:3 (2014).
- Choral Public Domain Library (review). Reference Reviews. 28:6 (2014).
- ScorSer (review). Reference Reviews. 28:3 (2014): 46 – 47.
- Goodsett, M., Eddy, M., Hill, M., Klink, S., McKenna, S., & Miles, M. (2021). Going Digital: Strategies for Transitioning a Conference to an Online Format. Journal of Academic Librarianship, 47(6). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acalib.2021.102433.
- Scarletto, E. & Goodsett, M. Developing a Responsible Event Code of Conduct and Reporting Workflow. ACRL Chapters Council Meeting. 2021. Presentation.
- Goodsett, M. & Simpson, S. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the State Level. OhioLINK Summit. 2021. Invited Panelist.
- Empowering Students as Citizens: Democracy 101. American Library Association Annual Conference. 2021. Poster.
- Offering a Journal Article Writing Club: Instructional Outreach & Collaboration. ACRL Distance Learning Section Virtual Poster Session. 2021. Poster. https://acrl.ala.org/dols/virtual-poster-session-2021/offering-a-journal-article-writing-club/.
- Goodsett, M., Miles, M., & Nawalaniec, T. (2020). Recasting Research Guidance: Using Evidence-Based Librarianship to Establish Best Practices for Developing LibGuides. EBLIP, 15(1), 218-225. doi: https://doi.org/10.18438/eblip29679
- Goodsett, M., Miles, M., & Nawalaniec, T. Recasting Research Guidance: Using a Comprehensive Literature Review to Establish Best Practices for Developing Research Guides. Association of College & Research Libraries Conference. Cleveland, OH. 2019. Poster.
- Goodsett, M., Meszaros, E., Millet, M. S., & Vlach, J. Welcome to Cleveland: An Introduction to the Rock and Roll Capitol of the World. College & Research Libraries News, 79(8), 410.
- Goodsett, Mandi, Charissa Powel, Jason Broughton, Sean Buckner, and Myriam Martinez. IRRT Library Links: Facing Disasters as a Global Community. American Library Association Conference. Orlando, FA. 2016. Conference Poster.
- Peer reviewer for Endnotes: The Journal of the New Members Round Table, 2015–2016.
- Discovery Search Tools: A Comparative Study. Reference Reviews. 28:6 (2014).
- No More Tallies: Comparing Web-Based Reference Statistics Tools. Library 2.013 Conference. Virtual, 2013. Presentation. Southeastern Library Association Conference. Greenville, SC, 2013. Poster.
Accomplishments and Awards
- ACRL Early Career Librarian Conference Scholarship recipient, March 2019
- Academic Library Association of Ohio Continuing Education Grant Recipient, April 2018
- ACRL Early Career Librarian Conference Scholarship Recipient, March 2017
- EBSCO Conference Sponsorship Award Recipient, January 2017
- Selected as the 2015-2016 New Members Roundtable (NMRT) Emerging Leader, November 2015
- Southeastern Library Association New Voices Contest Winner, Reflective Teaching: Improving Library Instruction through Self-Reflection, October 2014
- Graduate Student Employee Exhibit Contest Winner, In Dear Old Illinois: Celebrating Illinois with Scores from MPAL’s Historic Sheet Music Collection, March 2013
- Music Library Association Midwest Chapter Retirees Scholarship Recipient, October 2011
Professional Associations and Academic Offices
- American Library Association (ALA), 2011-present
- Organizational Effectiveness Steering Committee, 2018-present
- New Members Roundtable (NMRT), 2011-present
- Executive Board Member (Vice-President/President-Elect, President, Past-President), 2016–2019
- Endnotes Committee Member, 2015-2016
- Executive Board Member (Secretary), 2014-2015
- Student Reception Committee Member, 2013-2014
- Footnotes Committee Member, 2013-2014
- Library Instruction Round Table (LIRT), 2014-present
- Adult Learning Committee member, 2018-present
- Teaching, Learning, and Technology Committee member, 2014-2017; Co-Chair 2015-2016
- Sustainability Roundtable (SustainRT), 2017-present
- Publicity Advocacy and Awareness Committee Co-Chair, 2021-2022
- Outreach Committee Co-Chair, 2018-2021
- Website Redesign Task Force, 2020-2021
- Nominating Committee Member, 2018
- Academic and Research Libraries Association (ACRL), 2012-present
- Distance Learning Section Research & Publications Committee, 2019-2021
- University Libraries Section Current Topics Discussion Group, 2019-2021
- Conference Local Arrangements Committee Member, 2017-2019
- Conference Poster Committee Member, 2015-2017
- Instruction Section Awards Committee Secretary, 2014-2015; Member 2015-2016
- Music Library Association (MLA), 2011-present
- Instruction Subcommittee Member, 2015-2019
- Academic Library Association of Ohio (ALAO), 2014-present
- Executive Board Member (Vice-President, President, Past President), 2019-2022
- Conference Planning Committee Chair, 2019-2020
- Sustainability Interest Group Co-Founder & Member, 2019-2020
- Web Design Task Force, 2018-2019
- Nominating Committee, 2016-2017
- Instruction Interest Group
- Interest Group Co-Chair, 2017-2019
- Research and Publication Committee, 2015-2017
- Northeast Ohio New-to-Libraries Network (NLN), 2015-present
- Founder; President, 2015-2019